Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default ADSL over coax (AKA I don't know anything about ADSL)

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 09:24:37 -0800 (PST), David Paste wrote:

As I understand it, ADSL signals are passed along the twisted pair (is
that right?) telephone cables which are the same used for voice calls.
At a much higher frequency, of course. I am also under the impression
that the length of this cable is critical for service quality and
overall data rate (apart from junction / joint quality).

Pretty much correct. People underestimate the bandwidth that can be
carried over a twisted pair. 40 odd years ago broadcast video (up to
5+ MHz) was sent over half a dozen bonded twisted pairs, not far only
a mile or so but shows what could be done with the twisted pair and
the technology back then.

I've seen Riverside Studios to TVC, which must be getting on for 2 miles
allowing for detours to HAMmersmith & SHEpherds Bush exchanges.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18