Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wood heat in a shop

SNIP
The steak is missing where you think putting pollution into the air
where is WAS on the ground is OK while taking it from under the ground
is not OK. It's the same to me. Cutting down a tree removes if from
taking CO2 from the air and producing oxygen. Then you want to burn
it, on top of that?

I didn't say polluting the air was OK. And just because it's the same
to you, whether the carbon comes from fossil fuels or from trees,
doesn't mean that they are the same. Carbon added to our environment
that was sequestered millions of years ago is not the same as carbon
released from burning vegetation that is growing now. No matter what
you think. As far as pollution in its entirety from wood burning
stoves compared to burning propane you are correct that burning
propane in a modern heater pollutes less. much less. If a wood burning
stove was built that released only the same pollutants in the same
quantities for the same BTU output as burning propane the stove would
have a less harmful effect on our environment. If we don't stop adding
the CO2 to our environment from fossil fuel burning our planet is
going to experience general warming. And that most likely would be a
bad thing as far as human life is concerned. I do worry about the
stuff that comes out of my fireplace. I have to weigh the total
pollutants released against not adding to the total carbon load of our
present day environment. And I have vacillated about which is best. At
the same time I drive a car that burns fossil fuels and I heat my shop
with propane. Which shows that I'm not always doing what's best for
our planet. I do try to rely on the best scientific evidence to make
my decisions, not a particular political viewpoint. And I am not
going to say any more about this on RCM. In fact, I shouldn't have
posted several of the messages I did on this subject because they
weren't metal related. If you want to correspond with me any more
about this then please send me an email.
Cheers,
Eric

---