Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Laserjet 4000 paper jam and other issues. [FIXED]

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 16:30:39 -0800, "David Farber"
wrote:

I finally realized I had pulled the wrong
solenoid. The one I was working on was for the upper tray #1, not tray #2
(the drawer that slides out).

Oops. The URL I supplied was for the Tray 1 solenoid.

I went back to the service manual and figured
out how to get access to that solenoid. It was stuck shut of course. I
removed the stickiness from the components and put the felt on. For some
reason, this solenoid would not close when I manually tried to close it. The
felt was too thick.

Hmmm... That's odd. I've been using the 2mm thick felt for HP
solenoids without difficulties. There is a solenoid in the HP2550n
color laser that requires 1mm thick felt, which I was able to find at
the local $1 store.

The neighboring office has an HP4000 that is going to the recyclers
shortly. I'll take a closer look at the solenoid (time permitting).

I removed the felt, put some electrical tape on it, and
now it works great. As for the electrical tape, if it fails again, at least
I know exactly where to find that solenoid.

If my experience is any indication of future performance, the glue
will either melt or evaporate. Old electrical tape becomes brittle
and non-sticky after a few years. Either way, I believe that the
electrical tape will eventually fall off. I predict you'll be digging
in again in a few months.

Did you check for a magnetized solenoid?

If anyone is interested, what
follows below is a very concise list of steps you can follow to get somewhat
easy access to the solenoid on the 4000 model.

Thanks. I'll plagiarize it for when I eventually do an HP4000
instruction page.

Thanks for your help.

Congrats and sorry for the confusion.

--