Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - PBS Special - "Super Skyscrapers"

"Robert Green" wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

....snip...

Some buildings have a real heavy weight near the top that is controlled
to move in the same the building is (pushes the building in
the other direction).

Those devices probably *weren't* in the building I worked in. It was really
unsettling. The only time I experience worse swaying was when my Mom drove
us across the newly opened Verazzano Bridge in a severe winter blizzard in a
relatively tiny Olds F-85.

....snip...

The Verazzano Narrows bridge was the first place I drove a car over 100
MPH.

I had about 6 months between high school and USCG boot camp. My best
friend's older brothers owned a bagel shop in Queens and they hired me to
deliver fresh bagels to stores in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. It
didn't take me too many early morning trips across the bridge to notice
that the police in Brooklyn stayed in Brooklyn and the police on Staten
Island stayed on the island.

2 miles of open highway, no cops, and rarely a lot of traffic at 5
AM...what's a teenager to do? 110 MPH in a Chevy station wagon loaded to
the roof with a couple of hundred dozen bagels, that's what!