Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_9_] Graham.[_9_] is offline

Default ADSL over coax (AKA I don't know anything about ADSL)

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 09:24:37 -0800 (PST), David Paste
wrote:

As I understand it, ADSL signals are passed along the twisted pair (is
that right?) telephone cables which are the same used for voice calls.
At a much higher frequency, of course. I am also under the impression
that the length of this cable is critical for service quality and
overall data rate (apart from junction / joint quality).

Correct.

Would using coax for the last stretch to the subscriber's premises
provide any better quality of service?

I only ask as my cable service uses coax and I wondered about the
difference.

You have sort of answered your own question.

The whole point of ADSL is that it was invented as a means to send
high speed data over twisted pairs several km long that were only
originally intended for base band voice. The system is highly
adaptive, using digital line management.

ADSL also needs a modem at each end of each subscribers line, where
co-ax distribution systems like Virgin's can be largely passive.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%