Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default I have no water

On 2/7/2014 4:02 PM, gregz wrote:
About a week ago my water stopped coming into house. This is another fix
upper which I shut the water off when I leave. This was at the end the
extreme Cold spell average zero, two weeks ago. been looking for water each
day inside.

There is no dripping out of inside shutoff ball valve. I listened to pipe,
no sounds. No visible outside water accumulation. I'm trying t find the
outside shutoff, since some gravel was added, and now iced up. Today I
pushed plastic tubing thru ball and feed pipe. I think it went all the way
to outside shutoff.

Next week calling water company after I locate shutoff. Mystified. In see a
cutout of laid asphalt across street. Blue arrow on top. The gas and water
lines were marked by first call in the fall. I had to get new gas lined
installed about 15 foot or less.

Sounds to me like it froze the supply...or, I once't had a house where
the contractor buried the pressure reducing valve inline about 5-ft from
the meter and it failed shut. That was a real joy as he couldn't
remember having done so so didn't even know which end of the feedline it
was located but "sorta' thought" they'd put one in, somewhere...

That was in spring a day after brought home the new baby in a period of
nearly a week of solid rain. Great fun to dig in soaked red E TN
clay--not. At least it was 40F+, not -10F.