Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Craftsman snowblower lacks throwing power

Steve Stone wrote:
On 2/7/2014 11:45 PM, Eddie wrote:
My craftsman snow blower is about 5 years old. The last couple storms I've
noticed that it is lacking power when it comes to throwing the snow
through the shoot.

Is you gas fresh and clean ?
Have the last few snow storms been wet heavy snow? The heavy water laden
stuff is tougher to move thru the machine.
Are your shear pins in good shape?
Are your control cables adjusted properly? Can you get max rpm out of the
engine or is it running slow?
Sometime spraying the inside of the chute with a lubricant can help.
My snow thrower seems to throw snow farther if the machine is moving down
the driveway faster.

Good luck.

It throws farther when you move faster because you are feeding the impeller
with more snow so there is less "slop" (air) around the snow at the
impeller.

There are impeller kits that include a metal bracket and a rubber pad that
can be attached to each impeller blade to close the gap between the blade
and the impeller housing. DAGS for Clarence kit as one example. With less
gap at the ends of the impeller blades, you will get more throwing power.
That's basically what happens when you feed more snow into the impeller by
moving faster.

There's not much more satisfying than a huge rooster tail coming from the
chute. :-)