Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default cabinetry question

On 2/7/2014 2:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 2/6/2014 8:17 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/5/2014 8:32 PM, Leon wrote:

And concerning a router not having issue with grain direction, yours
must be magical. ;~)

With such a tiny cut of which we're talking and a sharp cutter it is...

To amplify just one last little bit, I like it because a) I have a very
nice, small laminate trimmer so it isn't futzing w/ the big router to
set it up, and b) it produces a crisp, consistently angle edge that is
virtually identical to that obtained by a block plane set to take a
minute shaving excepting the angle is automagically fixed without effort
to ensure don't switch your wrist angle a little during a pass and it
gets to within a hair of the corners that the block plane can't.

A scraper blade mounted at a 45 or other chosen angle in a 90-degree
guide block can be set to make the same cut at a fixed depth and while
it works well, it's more maintenance to sharpen/set than the trimmer so
unless it's really high-end, handwork-only kind of project I've
relegated it to the rarely used pile.

Veritas and others make roundover tools that work well; I've seen the
same idea with a flat edge instead of round but don't know of anybody
making them commercially at the moment...

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=195

I just think it's faster and particularly more consistent overall than
trying to breakover an edge with paper when doing a whole set of
cabinets or the like...for a "one-off" I'd go back to the scraper or
plane unless it's already still set which since I do so little laminate
work itself any more is a fairly like case...it may have been two year
now since it's been touched given what I've been at recently--farm shop
clean up w/ the idea of getting enough area to be able to get to the
windows again before spring planting. Of course, this has been the
target winter's project for this being the third winter now and progress
is minimal given the interruptions of "real world" farm operation in
winter...

imo, ymmv, $0.01, etc., etc., etc., ...

--

FWIW I used to use a router, and I do have a nice trim router too. The
paper works faster for me.