Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Drainage

On Friday, February 7, 2014 2:00:14 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 09:35:16 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

On Friday, February 7, 2014 10:15:20 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:13:34 -0600, James wrote:

Most water heaters develop a small leak at first. That's what the drain

pan is for.

Or a bigger leak if you route the drain on the pan to someplace where

the water can go without creating damage.

It's in an inside closet along with my washer and dryer no floor drain or

anything

So ruin a garden hose to an outside room and run it out the window. If

the end is below the bottom of the water heater, it will siphon out

almost the last little bit of water, which might be bad if there is a

lot of sediment. So don't go so low . If the end of the hose is 2

inches above the bottom of the WH, it will stop siphoning when the water

in the WH is 2 inches above the bottom.

If you don't want the water to pour down to the ground outside, get a

second hose and put a funnel in the mouth of it and let the first hose

drain into the funnel. That will break the vacuum stop the siphoning

at the level of the exit of the first hose, wherever that is. Hold

everything to your window with some strings. Kite string is fine.

In what you're replying to he's talking about a *permanent* connection

I don't think he is.

See, that's why you're wandering in the wilderness. You can't
follow a thread:

Another poster:
Most water heaters develop a small leak at first. That's what the drain
pan is for.

Me:
Or a bigger leak if you route the drain on the pan to someplace where
the water can go without creating damage.

James (OP):

It's in an inside closet along with my washer and dryer no floor drain or
anything

And from that you don't think that we're talking about the
permanent type of drain connection you have with many of these
pans? He's said that the pan has a drain fitting, but it's
not connected to anything. Good grief.

to the drain pain in case it leaks, not about draining the water heater.

So a hose out the bedroom window doesn't sound like a viable solution.

But he knows better than you or I what he wants. He can surely figure

out if my answer is a "viable solution". It's good of you to pre-read

and pre-think for him, but I don't think he needs the help.

You dumb ass, he told you what he has and what the question is.
He even posted a pic. And he further clarified that he was
interested in draining it for routine flushing maintenance.
And here you are 2 days and 30 posts later
not understanding that the problem is he wants to drain the water
heater and that with the location of the bibb and pan lip, he
can't get a hose on it. Further, just draining it into the
pan with your siphoning arrangement, aside from being impractical,
I don't think is going to accomplish anything in terms of
flushing it, to get deposits out. When I've done that, draining
it didn't do much at all. You had to have the drain wide open
and cycle the cold water full on and off, stirring it up. And even
then it took a long time and a lot of water to get to the point
where white particles
were no longer coming out. I don't see how he's going to do that
with your siphon idea. But, hell, I guess I should just shut up
and let folks who can't even follow the quetion asked, the context,
or the thread give solutions that would be a waste of his time.

And he cant't get a garden hose on the bibb to begin with,

that was the intitial question, because it's too close to

the floor and the pan lip is in the way.

That wasn't the issue in the immediately preceding posts.

Do try to pay attention. It was clearly the only problem that he
asked about, starting in the very first post.