Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I bought a Moto G from Motorola, and it doesn't come with a CHARGER!

On Friday, February 7, 2014 8:17:21 AM UTC-5, SC Tom wrote:
"James Grady" wrote in message

news
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 08:59:30 -0500, SC Tom wrote:

The output of the charger really doesn't matter, as long as it meets the

minimum requirements of the device

Which is as much as 1.5 Amps!

So, it /does/ matter.

A lot!

Most usb chargers can't deliver anywhere near that current.

Some can, of course. So, it matters a LOT to get those that can!

You obviously missed the last part of the sentence. Let me quote it for you:

"as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the device". If you're

going to take one line out of context, at least be accurate about it :-)

Even if a device calls for 1.5A, it will still be charged by a .5A output.

It'll just take a lot longer to do so, and would probably need to be turned

off in order to complete the charge cycle. I have an Asus tablet that

"requires" a 2.1A charger, but will still charge to completion with my .7A

phone charger, if I turn it off and leave it plugged in overnight. I have

done that a few times when I inadvertently forgot to pack the tablet

charger.

--

SC Tom

Also, the device in question is a Motorola Android cell phone.
I just checked the charger that came with my new Android cell phone.
It's 1.0A. The battery was almost dead last night, was giving me
the final warning before shutting down. I put it on the 1.0A charger
without it being turned on and it was up to full charge in about
an hour. With the phone turned on, I haven't timed it, but I'd say
it's less than 2 hours to charge. So, I agree with your assessment. The
device in question is a cell phone and the cell phone probably doesn't
even use .5A when it's just sitting there. The batteries are only
2500mah or so, as I recall. If it pulled .5A continously the battery
would only last 5 hours, mine lasts a day.

Since he doesn't have a charger, if it were me, I'd buy one
that's equal to the max that Mot specs, just so that it will
charge faster. They only cost a few bucks anyway. Even better
you can find kits for $10, maybe less that give you an AC charger,
car charger, cable, etc.