Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Water Heater Drainage

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 19:03:14 -0600, James wrote:

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:53:10 -0600, micky wrote
(in article ):

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:37:42 -0600, James wrote:

Hi All,

My water heater is sitting in a drain pan. I don't see how I can drain it
without elevating it above the lip of the drain pan to attach a hose. It
was that way when I bought the house. Any advice on what to do appreciated.

James

Connect a drain pipe. Is it a round drain pan, intended for water
heaters? There should be no need to elevate anything. If it's not
round, it might just be a pan.

Every drain pan I've seen has a place close to the floor to attach a 2"
drain pipe, plastic or something. Have you looked around the whole
circumference?

You're right. Without a drain pipe, it will just drain four inches from
where it would have without a pan. Although I think I have seen such
an installation.

Yeah there is a plastic drain pipe on the side of the pan. Missed seeing it
due to its position.

Where does it go? If it goes nowhere, you can still put a garden hose
in it and tape it up with duck tape for draining, and run it to the
window.

Don't open up the drain spigot so much that the hose can't handle it,
the water rises to the top of the lip.

Or you can put the garden hose right on the threaded spigot.

Why do you want to drain the WH. Everyone here says not to do so,
because the spigot will get clogged. I've never done it, in 31 years
here.