Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Drainage

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:44:35 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 20:16:10 -0600, James wrote:

Here are pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah...7640609873985/

Thanks. If you remove the PVC fitting from the pan, is the hole

large enough to pass a hose through and connect to the brass bib?

Given that the drain hole is offset from the bib, I don't see
how that solves his problem. I think his best bet is one of
the 90 deg elbows that you can find in the garden section. If
that won't go on, then another choice would be to just cut
the pan with a sawzall, bend out the lip and when done, bend
it back and silicone it up real good. Maybe put a piece of
aluminum tap on the outside, silicone on the inside.
Another choice would be to unscrew the bib 1/4 turn, but I wouldn't
do that because there's a decent chance it's going to leak, even
if he screws it back.

You have to hand it to Whirpool and the installer. One was
dumb enough to ship it that way and the other to install it in
a pan. A drain that low should have been aligned sideways to
make it easy to get a hose on.