Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] none@none.com is offline

Default O/T: Damn Cigarettes

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:55:40 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Think about it Dave - who in this day and age does not know the hazards of
smoking? Those things won't work on that crop of smokers. Will something
else work? I don't know. I'd like to hope so, but hanging on to tactics
that had a marginal benefit at best (the ads), is kind of pointless.

Everything you've said maybe right. I can only argue my own
experiences with smoking. I started at sixteen and quit when I was
twentyfive as a pack a day smoker.

And to be honest, it was easy for me to quit because of the reasons I
mentioned previously. I realized how tired I was of the sore throat,
the bad taste in my mouth and the nicotine on my fingers. It was as if
I'd just flipped a switch in my mind and that was it. If I could
market that switch I'd become filthy rich overnight.

People have said to me that I wasn't addicted if I was able to quit so
easily. Maybe so, and now I've grown to hate the very act of smoking.
I lost both my parents to smoking related diseases and people like me
may be flailing uselessly against this smoking addiction that people
have. But, whether my actions are effective or not, I'll keep trying
because just accepting the status quo means complete capitulation. I
refuse to accept that.