Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Printer vanishes from network !

On 06/02/2014 18:02, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have two HP 2100 laser printer on my home network with Jetdirect
cards. Both have fixed IP addresses and work fine, EXCEPT - if not used
for a few hours or sometimes days they are liable to vanish from the
network, not to return unless switched off and then back on again.

I used to have that problem with HP scanners too. They are pretty bad
about suspend resume logic and sometimes lose their connection. Shame
really as apart from that they were truly excellent and robust scanners.

I wondered if something else was pinching their ip addresses, (we have
holiday cottages who's occupants have web access so ip addresses get
given out as they come and go) so moved the printers way up the map, and
took those ip addresses out of the pool for the DHCP to dish out. No
change - they still sometimes just vanish Can be hours or sometimes
days.

Any suggestions gratefully received

You should be able to tell your router to reserve specific IP addresses
for tetchy retro printers. Mine would sometimes get itself a new IP
address following a powercut depending on what other battery powered
devices were still active when the router rebooted.

In the same way the cooker would reset to midnight and the ditigal
teasmade to making tea at +6 hours after power is restored

--
Regards,
Martin Brown