Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default O/T: Damn Cigarettes

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 08:03:38 -0600, Swingman wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Smokes is big bucks. I recently spoke with a former manager of a
convenience store in a border town. When his state increased the tax
by a buck a pack, they dropped sales of 3,000 packs a day as people went
across the border.

A small grocery/deli where I used to buy my lunch said they were the
biggest income and profit producer he had.

Fellow at work is complaining he needs a new truck but can't afford
one, yet he spends $80+ a week on cigarettes. And a six=pack and pint
every week.

It sure is big bucks - but so much of it is tax in NY. National brands are
now over $10 per pack in upstate areas and off brand nativie american
cigarettes are almost $9. Rolling your own brings the cost of a pack down
to about $1 per pack and takes about 10 minutes to produce a pack. They
finish just like a production cigarette, smoke the same and taste the same.
The RYO industry finally attracted the attention of NY State as they
realized they are missing out on that tax revenue. Expect that to change in
the not too distant future. Don't know how people can buy national brands
over the counter these days.

Meh. Damned progressives. If they can't constitutionally ban it, they will
attempt to tax it to death, thereby increasing crime, and more excuses to
fill the prisons:

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/conten...51244.abstract

Government blatantly chasing revenue under the guise of social cost is a
sign of the times, another way to fool the ever increasing gullible, and
another nail in the coffin of freedom of choice.

How soon that failed experiment in wielding 'social cost', Prohibition, is
forgotten ... as if the current "war on drugs" isn't enough to foment crime
and chaos.

Much like Alabama's very high tax on alcohol, some 40% of the total retail
cost, it doesn't seem to put a damper on peoples drinking habits.

It does make for a viable bootleg liquor market, both store bought and
moonshine.

It is a short trip to Kentuckey where the price is low and a pickup
load can net the bootlegger an easy $1000 dollar profit a trip.
(that's a very conservative figure)

The price of cigarettes are even more grossly distorted from NC to the
Nothern states, it's illegal but it is big business too.

None of this takes away from the fact that smoking does in fact kill
millions, however we are Americans and should be able to choose
our poison without much govt. interference.

basilisk