Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Damn Cigarettes

Swingman wrote:

Meh. Damned progressives. If they can't constitutionally ban it, they
will attempt to tax it to death, thereby increasing crime, and more
excuses to fill the prisons:

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/conten...51244.abstract

Government blatantly chasing revenue under the guise of social cost
is a sign of the times, another way to fool the ever increasing
gullible, and another nail in the coffin of freedom of choice.

How soon that failed experiment in wielding 'social cost',
Prohibition, is forgotten ... as if the current "war on drugs" isn't
enough to foment crime and chaos.

The tax on 16oz of cigarette tobacco for making your own cigarettes is
approximately $28. The tax on 16oz of pipe tobacco is approximately $2.50.
Guess what everybody uses? Cigarette tobacco is chopped a little finer, but
the desktop injectors that people use will cut the pipe tobacco to the
proper size while injecting the tobacco into an empty cigarette tube. The
device itself costs about $35 on average. Like I say you can make a pack of
cigarettes that are essentially the same thing as a commercial cigarette for
about a buck a pack. NY realized that they lost (they figure...) over $70M
in tax revenue on people like me so I expect they will quickly find a way to
impose a new tax. Not because they really care about my health, the cost to
my neighbors, or any of that crap.

You are right - failed social experiment. Or better said - it's all about
how we fund things that are more politically popular.

--

-Mike-