Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Drainage

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:12:19 AM UTC-5, jamesgang wrote:
On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:48:29 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:

On 02/05/2014 07:37 PM, James wrote:

Hi All,

My water heater is sitting in a drain pan. I don't see how I can drain it

without elevating it above the lip of the drain pan to attach a hose.. It

was that way when I bought the house. Any advice on what to do appreciated.

James

If your water heater "lets loose" and dumps 40 gallons of water, the

drain pan is not going to do you much good. I'd just cut a channel in it

to get at the spigot. I have no idea why they'd put a drain pan in an

area to block it. OTOH: Why do you want to drain it?

Most water heaters develop a small leak at first. That's what the drain pan is for.

Or a bigger leak if you route the drain on the pan to someplace where
the water can go without creating damage.