Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leave furnace blower running 24/7?

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:44:01 PM UTC-5, Batjo wrote:
replying to m Ransley, Batjo wrote:

ransley wrote:

It will keep you more even and clean your air better , but figure the

cost. I pay 0.12 KWH my fan pulls apx 400 watts or 9600 a day , at

0.12 thats 1.152 a day or 34.56 a month. Well my entire electric bill

last month was 15. I think I like the savings of 350 a year, but you

may enjoy the comfort Also fan motors only last just so long.

Running constant fan is not going to hurt your equipment, but if the

ducting is leaking to the exterior; it will amplify any losses you may

already have. As air leaves the building through leaks in the ducting, it

is replaced by air infiltrating through crawl space, attic etc.

I'd add to that, it's very dependent on how the system is
actually installed. If all the ducting runs only in heated parts
of the building, then the potential for heat loss is little.
If the furnace is in an unheated basement or even worse, an attic,
some ducts run through outside walls, etc, then it's going to be
a losing proposition for sure. Plus, I don't see the need. All
the houses I've lived in with furnaces it was comfortable
with the fan just running when the furnace was on.