Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default O/T: Damn Cigarettes

On 2/5/2014 7:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Smokes is big bucks. I recently spoke with a former manager of a
convenience store in a border town. When his state increased the
tax by a buck a pack, they dropped sales of 3,000 packs a day as
people went across the border.

A small grocery/deli where I used to buy my lunch said they were the
biggest income and profit producer he had.

Fellow at work is complaining he needs a new truck but can't afford
one, yet he spends $80+ a week on cigarettes. And a six=pack and
pint every week.

My how times have changed.

I worked in a smoke shop while in high school.

Cigarettes cost $1.86/carton except for Pall Mall which was
$1.88/carton.

Both sold for $1.95/carton and individual package sold for
$0.20/package retail.

Over seas while on the ship my dad paid 4 cents per pack, 5 cents on
land. 1946

Tried to float a price increase to $2.05/carton retail, but it didn't
fly until 2nd or
3rd attempt.

This was also about the time that a package had a couple of pennies
taped on
the side so you could use a quarter to buy a pack and automatically
get
$0.02 change.

Anybody remember Hav-A-Tampa cigars?

Yes