Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default O/T: Damn Cigarettes

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/5/2014 1:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
CVS/Pharmacy just announced they will stop selling tobacco products
in their 7600 retail stores 10/01/2114.

It will cost them at least $2 billion up front; however, long term you
can't
buy that kind of goodwill this will generate.

Wonder whose next to join CVS?

Lew

Smokes is big bucks. I recently spoke with a former manager of a
convenience store in a border town. When his state increased the tax
by a buck a pack, they dropped sales of 3,000 packs a day as people
went across the border.

A small grocery/deli where I used to buy my lunch said they were the
biggest income and profit producer he had.

Fellow at work is complaining he needs a new truck but can't afford
one, yet he spends $80+ a week on cigarettes. And a six=pack and pint
every week.

I think I've been quit for 10 years now. Its sort of frightening how
easy is would be to start back up. One of the things that helps me stay
quit is the cost. I remind myself that if I'm going to buy a pack,
then I might as well buy enough cigarettes for the month. That quickly
snaps me back to my senses! I wouldn't even leave the house on Friday
night with "only 1 pack"... If I was going to buy cigarettes today I
don't think I could buy only 1 pack. In fact, even allowing 2 packs a
day isn't a guarantee you won't run out ("Oh, the horrors...").
Although he quit years earlier, 25+ years of smoking Pall Mall's may
have led to to my dad's death of lung cancer (among several other types)
at age 72.

Bill