Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Quarter sawn lumber explained

On 2/5/2014 12:53 PM, dpb wrote:
On 2/5/2014 9:23 AM, wrote:

.. but it still seems to me that a good percentage of a straight
sawn log - would classify as quarter-sawn - the middle 2 - 4
pieces.

That's so altho it's not a very large percentage...it's computable from
log size depending on how much diagonal one wants to allow in the
discernment of "quartersawn" or not.

By "log size" I refer to the fact it's a fixed ratio assuming the
hypothetical round trunk, and a given maximum allowed curvature, not
that it is actually a variable percentage by the physical size except in
total volume.

Need GMO trees that grow square corners and concentric square growth
rings to maximize yield...

Once't upon a time I recall there was a flurry of work to try to grow
"square" melons and such to make shipping more efficient. I don't
recall having heard much about it for a while...