Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Lamp Post Trips GFCI

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 19:53:08 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 19:44:01 +0000, A mom who needs help.
m wrote:

Hi,

I have a lamp post that trips my GFCI in my powder room. It seems to
happen when the ground is wet. When this GFCI trips it effects all
bathroom outlets and one bathroom light. I was told the lamp post should
not be wired to the GFCI at all. How do I rewire that at the GFCI?

I agree with Trader and think you should find out what the problem is
and not rewire until you do.

How does the light on the post get turned on. Is it a photocell that
keeps it on all night? A switch in the house? A switch somewhere
else?

If, for example it were wired wrong so that the switched line was the
neutral and the hot line was always on**

**or maybe it's not wired wrong but the hot line is always not because

is always on....

it ruas to a solar cell switchl in the actual lamp socket

it runs to a solar cell ....

then if the hot wire were touching the metal post, or some
semi-conductive partially carbonized bakelite was, and when the ground
was wet some current flowed, that would trip the GFCI. (I'm trying
to figure out the most likely way the GFCI would trip when the grass is
wet.)

It would also mean if someone touched the post while it was hot, maybe
in bare feet on the grass, they might get fried. At least if you
disconnect it from the GFCI.

You could check if the post is "hot" but maybe it's not except when it's
wet out, and then the GFCI immediately trips.

What happens when you reset the GFCI while the ground is still wet.
Does it trip again right away, or does it stick?