Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default AIRCRAFT QUALITY BOLTS

On 2/4/14, 7:50 PM, John wrote:
Bob Lowe wrote:
replying to Bob Lowe, Bob Lowe wrote:
Bob Lowe wrote:

Hi again- Apparently there is no standard 'Grade' for Aircraft hardware

such
as
bolts and nuts, only Aircraft 'Quality'. Does anyone know of any

'Standards'
for this 'Quality'? The best that I can determine is that each
manufacture

of
Aircraft Quality Hardware have their own standards and are not made to
any
'Industry' standards. I have found out that some manufactures will not

even
give a PSI rating for their nuts and bolts, only stating that they
are of
'Aircraft Quality'. Can anyone put more light on this?
Thanks,

Thanks - Oh yes, there can pages and pages of specs, but now I am finding
out why I was never able to see or obtain any of these specs. I would
have to buy a book or two to see these specs. I doubt if anyone is going
to just print too much information on this for free reading on the web.
Of course I'll keep looking but I don't have much hope for this. They
will sell me an MS 39 bolt but it is up to me to know what this is. I
guess there is no Grade Number per se` for an aircraft bolt - just 101
specs. Thanks again.

If they are labeling the bolts "aircraft quality" they are probably
not. Every bolt used in aircraft should have a spec. on it. There are
titanium bolts, SS bolts, huck bolts and every other type of fastener
and they all have a spec. on them. I believe that a lot of information
is listed in FAR 43:13 as to bolt specs.

John

Yes, check it out... go here and download a (free!) copy of AC 43.13-1B,
it's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...entTopicID/114

The full PDF is about 16.75 MB, but you'll have the option to download
it by individual chapter if you wish.

AC is FAA speak for 'Advisory Circular', they have thousands of them...
43 means it pertains to part 43 of the Federal Aviation Regulations
(FAR's) concerning Maintenance, Preventative Maintenance, Rebuilding and
Alterations. The rest is just the rest.

This is an interesting document, lots of very good information!

The section covering bolts proper begins at 7-34.

The FAA offers loads of other advisory circulars, handbooks and other
training materials, all free just for the download. I suggest one and
all take a look.

Erik