Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default AIRCRAFT QUALITY BOLTS

Bob Lowe wrote:
replying to Bob Lowe, Bob Lowe wrote:
Bob Lowe wrote:

Hi again- Apparently there is no standard 'Grade' for Aircraft hardware

such
as
bolts and nuts, only Aircraft 'Quality'. Does anyone know of any

'Standards'
for this 'Quality'? The best that I can determine is that each
manufacture

of
Aircraft Quality Hardware have their own standards and are not made to
any
'Industry' standards. I have found out that some manufactures will not

even
give a PSI rating for their nuts and bolts, only stating that they are of
'Aircraft Quality'. Can anyone put more light on this?
Thanks,

Thanks - Oh yes, there can pages and pages of specs, but now I am finding
out why I was never able to see or obtain any of these specs. I would
have to buy a book or two to see these specs. I doubt if anyone is going
to just print too much information on this for free reading on the web.
Of course I'll keep looking but I don't have much hope for this. They
will sell me an MS 39 bolt but it is up to me to know what this is. I
guess there is no Grade Number per se` for an aircraft bolt - just 101
specs. Thanks again.

If they are labeling the bolts "aircraft quality" they are probably
not. Every bolt used in aircraft should have a spec. on it. There are
titanium bolts, SS bolts, huck bolts and every other type of fastener
and they all have a spec. on them. I believe that a lot of information
is listed in FAR 43:13 as to bolt specs.

John