Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Laserjet 4000 paper jam and other issues.

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 01:24:19 -0800, "David Farber"
wrote:

I did clean (though probably not well enough) the sticky stuff off of the
solenoid which is used to control the lower "D" rollers. I used some
electrical tape as was suggested in the fix. Is the purpose of the felt or
electrical tape to muffle the sound when the solenoid is energized or is
there a mechanical reason as well? I'll take it out again, put some dc on
it, and see how it operates. I'll also replace the rubber parts.

Don't use electrical tape. My original version of the fix indicated
to use 2 layers of electrical tape. That worked for about 3 months,
when the tape got warm and fell off. I had to rework about 8 printers
where I had used tape. The felt has lasted much longer.

There are various thicknesses of felt available at the local hardware
store. The stuff in the photo is 2mm thick (including the backing
paper and NOT compressed). I also have some felt that's about 1mm
thick. Both work just fine but I would NOT go any thicker than 2mm.

The main purpose of the felt to reduce the sound, but it also may have
a secondary purpose. Running the solenoids off DC tends to magnetize
the cores. If the armature comes in contact with the core, it will
stick. See video at:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/hp2200-solenoid.wmv
The felt provides the necessary air gap so that the armature doesn't
stick.

If replacing all the rubber parts and fixing the sticky solenoid
doesn't do the trick, there are some obscure problems that should be
investigates. The clutch that runs the feed roller (the one above the
paper tray) gets dirty and doesn't release. Tear it apart, clean out
the metal dust, and it should be ok. Another common problem is a
sticky paper height sensor. That's also above the tray. Clean with a
paint brush.

Good luck.
--
Jeff Liebermann