Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Lamp Post Trips GFCI

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 19:44:01 +0000, A mom who needs help.
wrote:

Hi,

I have a lamp post that trips my GFCI in my powder room. It seems to
happen when the ground is wet. When this GFCI trips it effects all
bathroom outlets and one bathroom light. I was told the lamp post should
not be wired to the GFCI at all. How do I rewire that at the GFCI?

Just a quick Google found this:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=126498

Which seems to confirm that, if the lamp post doesn't contain a
receptacle, it doesn't need to be GFCI protected.

You can easily change this if the feed from the lamp enters the house
in the same box as the GFCI receptacle by just changing the
connections to the lamp post from "load" to "line"

If it enters the house somewhere else, you will have to describe more
about how the wiring is done.