Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Anyone under 60 and healthy?

Peter writes:
On 2/3/2014 9:28 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/3/14 9:00 PM, Peter wrote:

I never said or implied that no physicians accept pharmaceutical
freebies. I said that such freebies rarely meet State standards
for continuing medical education. Personally, I never accepted
those invitations, found private practice too mercenary, and
spent 30 years on active duty as a medical officer in the
military. I happen to agree with your criticism of the
pharmaceutical companies and although physicians cannot be
compelled to sign a promise to prescribe in return for the
freebies, the companies' intent is clearly apparent and those
M.D.s' bias to prescribe accordingly has been well documented,
even when it is a subconscious bias. You jumped to entirely
unwarranted conclusions.

There is a not yet approved method to stop bleeding from gunshots:
http://tinyurl.com/ljdq8c9 (Popular Science)

For some time, soldiers have been using over the counter tampons
produced for monthly female hygiene to plug gunshot wounds. I can
imagine the scene when a medic pulls a pink package out of his pack
while treating a soldier who's been shot. Soldiers are very good at
improvising during times of war. ^_^

TDD

A major military medical research effort for many years has been how to
control bleeding/stabilize severely injured personnel in the field,
prior to their access to surgical care. Both the Army and Navy have
invested in those efforts, and specialized dressings etc. have been
developed which are also finding use in the civilian community, e.g.,
for people in remote areas sustaining severe injuries and for use by
EMTs treating severe trauma.

If I recall correctly, it was the military medical folks who pioneered
the use of cyanoacrylate adhesives for wound closure.