Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default Metal spinning

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:20:09 AM UTC-5, James Waldby wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 05:50:22 -0800, ggherold wrote:

Hi all, This is a simple metal spinning question that I was asked to bring here. (I know nothing about metal spinning.)
I'd like to make some little radiation shields for use at 77K (liquid nitrogen)
So cylindrical type cups.. maybe 2" diameter and 3-4" long. I've only heard about spinning aluminum, but can you also spin other metals something like TeCu (tellurium copper)

As mentioned in P. Schiller's answer, copper spins ok, if
annealed whenever necessary. I don't know the answers to
your other questions, but want to suggest that if you can
obtain your material in pipe form (or if you can make a pipe),
spinning just the base of the cup probably minimizes the
distance that material needs to move. Ie, if you start with
a flat 6" disk of metal and spin a cup of 2" diameter and 4"
height, some of the metal has to move more than 4 inches.
If you instead start with 4.5" of 2" pipe none of the metal
has to move more than an inch.

Interesting! Thanks. I didn't know you could start with a cylinder.
(Makes total sense though.)

George H.

Does the spinning work harden the metal?

Can it be annealed afterward?

How thin a wall/ bottom can you make?

--

jiw