Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Anyone under 60 and healthy?

On 2/3/2014 10:28 PM, Shadow wrote:
On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 22:00:19 -0500, Peter wrote:

On 2/3/2014 7:26 PM, Shadow wrote:
On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:08:32 -0500, Peter
wrote:

well controlled high blood cholesterol if they were diagnosed
and managed soon after onset

You must be from the new brood. I suppose if someone has
"uncontrolled" high cholesterol, that would make them "disabled".
Gotta larf, what those drug companies stuff down young MD's
throats. They offer me trips to Europe if I prescribe their
trash. Ha. Not me, I'd rather die honest. []'s

I don't think you've read my reply in the context of the original
posting. And, I'm not part of any "new brood"; I'm a senior
citizen.

I never said or implied that no physicians accept pharmaceutical
freebies. I said that such freebies rarely meet State standards
for continuing medical education. Personally, I never accepted
those invitations, found private practice too mercenary, and spent
30 years on active duty as a medical officer in the military. I
happen to agree with your criticism of the pharmaceutical companies
and although physicians cannot be compelled to sign a promise to
prescribe in return for the freebies, the companies' intent is
clearly apparent and those M.D.s' bias to prescribe accordingly
has been well documented, even when it is a subconscious bias. You
jumped to entirely unwarranted conclusions.

I retired as a family doctor, years ago. ( 35 years practice, when I
was almost perfect, I had to retire ....). In my country, family
medicine is state-run, a very corrupt state, so we have to ignore the
leaflets they hand out and study in those tediously thick text-books.
And even double check them for biased text. I don't jump to
conclusions. I just thought your choice of "high cholesterol" when we
were discussing disability was not wisely made. A stroke, heart
attack, severe liver or kidney failure, something like that would be
more convincing. FWIW []'s

Shadow, perhaps we have an English language comprehension problem? As a
trained doctor, surely you know that most patients who have had a stroke
or have severe liver or kidney failure are at least partially disabled.
My original reply questioned the OP's apparent belief that anyone
merely taking prescription meds for a chronic condition met the
definition of disabled.