Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default cabinetry question

On 2/4/2014 1:33 AM, Bill wrote:
Was listening to an Jim Heavey (WW-Shows) say that he "knocked down" all
corners/edges with a router--because finishes don't adhere to them very
well.

True, but 220 sandpaper works just as well to "break the edges", and it
allows the discerning craftsman an opportunity to go over the entire
project up close and personal.

He also routes around inset cabinet doors (frames?) to help
allow for wood movement while preserving the appearence. Are both of
these approaches SOP? Thank you for further clarification! I'm sorry
if this is on topic! ; )

How on earth could that be off topic, and what does it matter anyway??

I wouldn't call it SOP, but it is not unheard of ... although I doubt
for the reason

On the outside of the doors (and drawer fronts?, the practice used to be
called "Hollywood" style, and Sam Maloof might have been the instigator,
although I seriously doubt that it was because of wood movement that he
did it ... more likely because it makes it easier to fit and inset door.

I did it on these doors a few years back, mainly because I liked the
look when the frame of a door is made out of contrasting material:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

http://e-woodshop.net/Projects8.htm

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com