Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Ford semi truck, cab heater not working

On 2014-02-03, Ignoramus24227 wrote:
OK, guys, thanks a lot. I spent some time today with the truck.

It was just like you said: fuses on the right side of the panel,
heater switch working with resistors, etc.

The problem was, I think, a switch connector coming apart for any
reason (possibly people messing with the panel where the heater switch
is). Everything is back together and the heater fan works, at least in
high.

If it runs in high *only*, then the resistors are certainly the
problem. Just find where it is (somewhere in the housing (ducting)
carrying airflow from the fan to the cab -- likely fairly close to it.
Look for a multi-pin connector on the ducting. Pull the connector, and
you will see (likely) two screws holding it to the ducting. If you are
lucky, it doesn't require tiny hands to get to the screws, and big
strong hands to turn the wrench -- that is certainly the problem on a
'95 Mazda Navajo (Ford Explorer clone, IIRC).

Since the problem showed up in mid-winter, and I (unlike you)
did not have an indoor place to work on it, it got run on high or off
until the summertime. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--