Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Current Transformer & heating controller.

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 17:19:56 -0600, RogerN wrote:

snip
Anyone here mess with signal conditioning for current transformers?
Seems that I need a "precision rectifier" circuit and a capacitor to
charge up to the peak, then scale to RMS amps.

Do your A to D conversion at the 3rd or higher harmonic of line frequency
(higher really is better), square, and average. Then take the square
root, and you have RMS.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

I did some checking, the Arduino's AnalogRead() function is supposed to take
around 100uS. I'm thinking I can take a A/D reading ~641uS apart and get 26
readings in 16.666mS. Then do the RMS calculations from the readings. This
should be great because I should be able to take the voltage from the burden
resistor to provide 2V P-P at full scale. Note I'm putting a 100A CT on a
15 A circuit so I should have around 1/10 amp resolution per count (10 bit).
If this doesn't read well, I'll get a lower amperage CT.

So thanks for the idea! That saves an Op Amp rectifier and filter! I never
thought of doing the calculations right from the AC signal.

RogerN