Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Big trucks w/crip plates

On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 21:12:05 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:16:50 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 08:32:20 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :

HAving moved up from a Ranger, it did take a little getting used to
driving it. SWMBO still won't get in the left seat. It really drives
well, though.

My F150 is the worst-driving vehicle I've ever owned. The Suburban was
pretty bad, but at least it went in snow without 4wd. The F150 really
*needs* 4wd and the rear end wants to break away on almost anything
short of perfectly-dry pavement.

That's an exaggeration. My 2013 was pretty good in the Atlanta ice
the other day. The back end never came loose. Yeah, if I still lived
in Vermont, I would have paid the extra $2000 for 4WD. My Ranger was
4WD and in the five years I had it down here, I never once used 4WD.
No need for 4WD here.

I live in snow country up in Washington and have never had a 4x. Always got where I am need to using winter tires. I also heat with wood (6 cord or more/yr) cut my own, Every _needed_ 4x? A couple times. Had to call a tow to get me unstuck once, thought I would have to again but after 1/2 hours work packing brush got out. Othere than that once.

I wouldn't have made it with 2WD on my Ranger. All 2Wd pickups suck
in ice and snow. It's the nature of the beast.

As for truck driving characteristics he is most definitely exaggerating with a possible exception. My first truck was a badly used F250 with very wide tires (definitely not OEM). It was 'squirrely' even on dry pavement. I change them back to normal size almost immediately - problem solved.

Perhaps. I've always used the stock (sized) tires. I know studs will
really make a car feel like it's on ice when the pavement is only wet.