Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default HP Laserjet 4000 paper jam and other issues.

Initially there was a paper jam from the paper tray 2 which is the drawer
that slides into the bottom of the printer. I pulled out the paper and it
jammed again. The paper does not jam when fed through the foldout tray 1,
which is the combination envelope and paper feeder. When the printer is
powered up now, the display says, "Checking Printer," and blank paper starts
coming out. I believe this is a test that the printer makes to ensure the
jam is cleared up. However after four sheets of paper go through, the
display shows "Paper jam" again and it stops in mid cycle. Sometimes the
paper is not jammed but the display says it is anyway. The other malfunction
is that the pickup rollers for tray 2 are activated even if there is no
paper in the drawer. I found what was supposed to be the best solution here
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Black-a...8#.UvAcJFYmaSo
and here http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/68794. The fixes
made sense to me but it still is trying to pick up paper when it isn't
supposed to. I dismantled a good portion of the printer checking for
anything that might be causing it to jam but could not find any problem. I
tried this fix http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/27551 as well
with no success.

Thanks for your reply.
--