Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Ping for Andrew Gabriel

In article , Rick Hughes
writes
On 03/02/2014 01:43, Capitol wrote:
Capitol wrote:

Was the original designed for 110V?

No ... the guy has a page with his design (and theory) if you want a look :

http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/6103.htm

I did reach out to him, and although he advises his circuit works fine
he is adamant the 220R stops any excess in-rush current,though he did
add that increasing that to 680R might be worthwhile.

It looks like I will have to buy a new set of capacitors ... seems to be
form your & Freds comments hat 0.22uF will be better at ~20mA

I'm sure this hole is getting bigger as we speak but please don't buy
_sets_ of anything until you have fully tested the concept for light
output and durability.

Your 470n caps are not totally wasted as you can combine them in chains
to experiment with circuit values. If you weren't already aware, 2 x
470n in series will create 235nF so a suitable test for 220n or 5 x 470n
will create 94nF which will test for 100n. Obviously more bulky than
correct replacements but this is only for testing.

Note that if you go for 20mA then you will limit your pulse resistor
size to about a quarter of the sizes I suggested (power = I sqrd x R),
you will be limited to 1k or so make sure you test for durability of
your non spec'd leds at those pulse levels before building in quantity.

Reet, that's enough digging, I'm out . . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .