Craig

Default Handyman Club of America - WTF?

Tom Dooley wrote:

I think it's 12 dollars a year, (or was).
I thought the magazines were worth that.
I still have a bunch of them.
I got into the habit of misplacing their invoices, and eventually the
magazines and invoices stopped coming.
Of course the "free gifts" are usually crap
except for the handydandy plastic drill size gauge. I actually use that
on occasion. I think they make most of their money endorsing
woodworking tools and other products.
They didn't strike me as scammers like the bogus credit card losers,
etc.

They must make money somewhere. I can't imagine there being enough
silly people to take them up on their offer for the lifetime membership.
I don't recall what the magazine subscription might be. They took a
notion that I had subscribed and have been sending it to me.
I finally got around to reading their letter. - Well, looked it over. I
guess the $24 was that they have faith that I am going to give them
three hunnerd dollars for lifetime membership and for that I get three
hundred and some dollars worth of free tools.
What a deal!!

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the tools to test?
I recall that being one of the things that folks went on about some
years back. Everybody and his grandmother got glue spreaders. Some folks
got some kind of sandpaper thingy.
Well, so far I got my glue spreader but can't find it. Maybe it is
drill *and* wire gage? - I thought someone talked as if wire gage was a
different gizmo. ?? Maybe same thing. I dunno. I didn't pay much
attention to the thing. It got holes in it and numbers. ;-)
I got my free gift flashlight that popped the reflector out through the
lens popping out when I put batteries in it. Super glue fixed that. Got
the Swiss Army Pliers that a jaw broke off cutting a weedeater string.
Got a pencil with this last stuff. I won't count the patch and window
sticker. - Hell, I would not even put Harley patches that folks gave me
on my clothes. I like my Sportster when I got it running but if Harley
wants me to be a billboard they can pay for the advertising space.
Got the six little screwdrivers that claimed to be ten dollar value. I
forget if that was gift - I think it was gift - or tools to test. They
seem to be of good enough quality - though I have not given study what
the tips might do on tight screws. I twisted the dickens out of one of
my cheap set on a tight screw once. Most of that 99cent set needed a bit
of JB Weld to solid up the bit in the handle.

Anyway - Maybe I will take look at Google again for them posts I looked
at from some years ago. Seems I recall that some did send money and
didn't get any of them tools to test.
Oh well, I would not have a lot of use for them "free" gifts they would
send with the lifetime membership even if they did send them. Cordless
drill would be a bit more handy than dragging cord here and there - but
not handy enough that I'd pay much for one. - I suppose there was one
time that I might could have used this Forstner bit set they offer as a
free gift if I send them $27 a month for 12 payments. They got another
free gift bit set that probably has most every wood bit a guy could want
- but then I already got most every bit I seem to need.
Oh! Looked closer. It is screwdriver and bit set. - Would probably up
my odds of finding the screwdriver I need. I must have ten of just about
every size there is but they always hide from be.

--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.