Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus24227 Ignoramus24227 is offline

Default Current Transformer & heating controller.

On 2014-02-02, RogerN wrote:
"Ignoramus23944" wrote in message

I did exactly that for two sump pumps. Two are too big for one circuit
and there is no way to split them into separate circuits (they are
hooked up to the building that I do not own).

What you need is called a "current sensing relay" and they are
available. You need to use a current sensing relay and a contactor to
turn the heater no and off.

That might work, it's kind of a gray area. I need to be able to adjust the
amps where it kicks OFF and the amps where it kicks ON. For example, if my
heater takes 10A then I don't want to turn it ON until the line current
drops to 4A or less, but it doesn't need to kick out until the amps get up
around 13-15A.

Do not overthink this, do it with a particular current limit like 4A
and enjoy a working system.

The thermo cube thing you mentioned is working great in the utility room, I
hadn't ever heard of them until you mentioned it. Thanks!

Good to hear!