Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_2_] Dr.  Deb[_2_] is offline

Default Gloves for turning

G. Ross wrote:

I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer. Grip is ok and if they
snag they will not pull your hand into the work, it just tears a chunk
out of the glove. So they seem safe to use

A friend of mine gave me a pair of "turning gloves" several years ago.
There are times they are oh so welcome. If I am turning something that is a
tad dry and the chips are coming off like a sand blaster right into the web
of my left hand, the gloves make the difference between being able to focus
on what I am doing and not focusing on the abrasions taking place on my
hand.

Actually the rule of thumb in using gloves is the same as when you are not
using them - Use common sense - stupid is stupid, gloves or no gloves.

Deb