Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default Advice sought Pioneer SX-434

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:40:58 -0800, wrote:

Greetings All,
I have an old reciever/amplifier, the Pioneer SX-434. My folks bought
it back in 1973 or '72. I think. Anyway, it sounded great when I was
in high school and then later when it somehow migrated to my house in
the early '80s. Somewhere along the way it was relegated to the garage
and then the basement in my new house. It has not been powered up in
years, at least 15. But it worked great then. Now it has a chance to
provide me with listening pleasure once again. In my machine shop. I
need new speakers, I gave the old ones away. But before I hook up new
speakers and plug in the iPod, is there anything I should ckeck first?
Should I open it up and look for stuff coming out of electrolytic
capacitors? Should it be run at a low volume for a period of time? I
would love to have the thing working for me again. A little nostalgia.
My dad, who will be 80 in a couple months, would be delighted to hear
it when he comnes by to visit. He doesn't even know I still have it.
Thanks,
Eric

---

Given that brand and vintage i would just go for it. That said, mroberds
advice to exercize all the controls first is good advice.

?-)