Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.satellite.gps
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Trying to understand the current draw of a Samsung Galaxy S3 under GPS & low battery

Per TJ:
Perhaps your best solution would be to use the phone as a phone, and
purchase a separate GPS unit to use for navigation.

I think he would be on the wrong side of history if he did that.

I gave my Garmin Nuvi away last year and have been using Sygic on my 5"
and 10" Notes ever since.

I'm not a heavy driver, but so far I would have to say that Sygic is
plenty good enough for me - in fact, it's turn advisories are somewhat
better than the Garmin.

Only place I'd fault it is announcements of route recomputation. Garmin
would right away say "Recomputing Route" as soon as I departed from it's
route. Sygic issues a couple of "Make A U-Turn" directives and then
just silently recomputes the route. I found that disconcerting and a
little confusing at first but now that I know what's coming I'm used to
it.
--
Pete Cresswell