Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default OT what have I done?

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , John Williamson
writes
On 01/02/2014 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:

The only changes noticed so far is that I've lost Google (UK): in
explorer where you could restrict searches to your local country. The
icon is still there on the toolbar but just opens up a general search.
Who wants pricing in dollars?

:-? Americans. If you don't, you can set the search engine to
google.co.uk or anything else you wish either by using the right click
menu on the search engine button or going into the setup program.

Should I strip out Malwarebytes or will it depart naturally when I fail
to sign up for the paid version?

No harm in leaving it, it will only run if you invoke it and as you've
picked up junk in the past it would be worth running periodically to
check for unseen naughties.

Also, you'll be re-running it in a few days to check for re-infection,
right :-?

It's slightly worrying that your browser google search prefs returned on
their own, that implies something has run in order to change them which
looks suspicious to me. Anything dodgy will get picked up on your re-run
later (with updated defs) and it may have been a prefs click you made.

While your infection appears to have been pretty benign adware, it
wouldn't do any harm to download and run Malwarbytes beta anti rootkit
scan (details in my first post) overnight to make a clean sweep.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .