Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Etymological question -- "waller" a hole

On 2014-01-29, Tim Wescott wrote:
The sons of the family mechanic talked about "wallering a hole", in the
sense of "to wear and enlarge in an uncontrolled manner" ("the bolt was
loose and wallered out the hole, now it don't fit"), or (with contempt
for shade-tree mechanics) "to intentionally enlarge a hole in an
uncontrolled manner" ("that deleted just wallered out those holes
instead of using a drill bit of the proper size, now nuthin' fits right").

Has anyone else seen this? I'm curious if it was a family invention or
if it's a word of real usage.

I've heard it -- though usually pronounced as "wallowed" rather
than "wallered". And I usually interpret it as tilting an electric
drill in various directions while running so the hole is made a little
larger.

The pronunciation is likely influenced by regional artifacts. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail