Craig

Default Handyman Club of America - WTF?

Phisherman wrote:

If Handyman Club of America treated all their customers that way, they
would have bit the dust years ago. But as long as there's a few
suckers to send them money, they will keep going. No lasting company
is going to give out more than they take in. I have the free plastic
drill gauge they sent me, although I use my metal one as it is much
easier to read the numbers. I have not yet had a use for the
foam-backed sandpaper. The HCA membership card makes a good glue
spreader.

Right. - Had my experience not seemed quite unusual I would not have
bothered to post about it.
The book I sent them the ten bucks seemed worth it - might have
considered it worth even more had I not already know 90% of the stuff in
it. - But there is couple things and some reference that I thought WTF -
is about the price of a couple magazines.
First time that anyone ever sent me a book and it had return postage
guaranteed too. - That is after it had been opened.

Yea - I like the credit card glue spreaders the best. - I even thought
to try cutting one with pinking shears - but would like smaller notches
than that I guess. - Little sawtooth edge might be nice for soem things
- hacksaw sized serrations maybe. - Have to give some thought how to
easily accomplish that. - But then I suppose a broken piece of hacksaw
blade might serve well enough ..... whatever.

Oh well. If they do me good enough I suppose I will come back and
mention it. If they do me poorly or amusing I will come back and mention
that too. - For the most part it appears that folks of this group is
into woodworking to level that is over my head or ambition regarding
wood work for the most part.

I'd be almost tempted to send them one time the 'initiation fee'
installment. - I finally took a look at the letter. They want twelve
payments of $27.09. - Little fantasy runs though my head that would
amount to three dollars over the $24.00 and they might send me something
worth more than three bucks in the meantime. ;-) - What did that fellow
say about 'hook - set'? :-)

I recall reading that stuff from some years back where folks was
carrying on about the glue spreaders and wire gage with a great few
sizes of +/- tolerance. I recall that some had actually sent the five
bucks that they wanted for something and they never got anything more
than more glue spreaders - which I gather is as much as folks who never
sent them squat.

Hey! I just thought that I do have something to contrubute of advice.
Don't be trying to cut some inch thick nylon on a table saw unless one
can figure how to slow the speed or soemthing. I got a delightfully
large scar - about 2" x 1/2 inch to attest to the folly of it. - Kicked
that piece so far that it took a week before I finally found it at other
side of the yard in some brush.
I was inventing me a jig to cut me a cutter to cut some threads on my
lathe. - Worked fine when when I eventually got it together.

Reminds me that I got to work up something in that lathe like an idler
gear or some such. - Being lathe dumb when I bought the cheap thing from
Harbor Freight I thought that 'reverse' meant that one could cut reverse
threads. - All reverse does is that the motor rund the other direction,
and that ain't worth squat. - But I figure that an extra gear of any
size anywhere in the works would do the job just fine.

--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.