Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_15_] SteveB[_15_] is offline

Default Chainsaw sharpener

On 1/16/2014 8:36 PM, Oren wrote:

One of my brothers (RIP) was an Arborist for a national company.

On the job, he had a couple of files, oil and gas to keep his
chainsaws running. He inspected the saws, before he climbed a tree.

A few times I worked with him as a ground man.

Point: simple tools on the job gets the job done.

On our last job, a 80' high cottonwood, I just used the round file. I
did see that I do need to make a mount for a bar clamp (also called a
stump clamp when pounded into a log) to hold my saw while sharpening.
With those little indicators, and steady stroking, about six strokes per
tooth comes out with remarkable sharpness. Haven't gotten to the other
one that uses the flat file yet, and think I may buy one of those that
has the guide on it. Or not. We did some heavy work last Saturday,
enough to put me in bed until this morning. Buddy's 460 Husky came in,
so we are dying to try it on the last 80 footer of this job. 24" bar.
Think I'll go 455 w/20".

Steve