Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.satellite.gps
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Default Trying to understand the current draw of a Samsung Galaxy S3 under GPS & low battery

Danny D. wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:23:56 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

The enigma is that, if the charger is actually putting
out 2.1 Amps, then, why isn't 2.1 Amps enough to run the S3?

I should note that I *do* realize the charger doesn't
"put out" current (as it does voltage); what I meant,
clarified, is:

The enigma is that, if the charger is capable of
sourcing 2.1 Amps, then, why isn't that enough to
run the Samsung Galaxy S3 with operative GPS?

Have you verified that the charger is delivering even 1 Amp (that would be
more than adequate, since that is above what the phone requires)? Testing it
isn't all that difficult, but it does require some knowledge of electronics.

The charging circuit in the phone determines how much power is used to
operate the phone and other functions such as GPS vs. recharging the
battery. It is possible that the design of that circuit will not supply
adequate power to other functions when the battery is down to 17%.
--
best regards,

Neil