Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.satellite.gps
Danny D.[_13_] Danny D.[_13_] is offline

Default Trying to understand the current draw of a Samsung Galaxy S3under GPS & low battery

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:48:34 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

First thing that came to my mind was that the GPS satellites were harder
to acquire than usual.

I don't disagree.

The first few times this happened, I thought the
same thing.

It was only yesterday, when I REALLY needed the
GPS navigation to work - that I realized the
constant "GPS signal lost" audible warnings
were actually due to the fact the battery was
at 17%.

Worse yet, apparently 17% is the critical point
in the curve where the phone can't keep up with
the GPS and the GPS keeps shutting off (rendering
it useless).

If only the 2.1 Amp charger would keep the phone
running. That's the enigma!

The enigma is that, if the charger is actually
putting out 2.1 Amps, and, if, (as it appears),
the phone recognizes the charger as an AC charger,
then, why isn't 2.1 Amps enough to run the phone?

Note: Yes, I know they it is said that the phone
never draws more than 900 mA, but, even so, that
should be enough to run the GPS, isn't it?

I guess the question is, literally:
Q: How MUCH additional current does the GPS cost us?