Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

Default Metal spinning

On Friday, January 31, 2014 8:50:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi all, This is a simple metal spinning question that I was asked to bring here. (I know nothing about metal spinning.)

I'd like to make some little radiation shields for use at 77K (liquid nitrogen)

So cylindrical type cups.. maybe 2" diameter and 3-4" long. I've only heard about spinning aluminum, but can you also spin other metals something like TeCu (tellurium copper)

Does the spinning work harden the metal?

Can it be annealed afterword?

How thin a wall/ bottom can you make?

George H.

Hi George,

Yes, it will work harden like crazy. Depends on material.

Copper spins nicely. Tellurium I don't know. The spun material needs ductility to start with.

Copper must be annealed before, after, and sometimes during, the spinning process.

Thickness of wall is the thickness you start with, minus the amount you stretch it to the form. Not all that easy to control. Too thin and it will tear. Too thick and it will need great force to shape.

Have you considered using a simple hemispherical male die pressed into a block of contained urethane for these instead? Limited in its draw depth, but might be a viable alternative to spinning them.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

--
PaulS