Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.satellite.gps
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Trying to understand the current draw of a Samsung Galaxy S3 under GPS & low battery

Per Danny D.:

occurring. The GPS kept saying over the bluetooth "GPS
signal lost", "GPS signal re-acquired", over and over
and over and over again, within ten seconds of each other,
such that the GPS was useless - and - worse yet - the
battery went lower and lower until the phone finally
shut off.

Yet, after charging it for an hour on the car, with
the phone off, it got up to about 65%, and then I used
the GPS on the road for another hour, and it STAYED at
65% battery.

What on earth is going on?

First thing that came to my mind was that the GPS satellites were harder
to acquire than usual.

I don't claim to know anything about that stuff, but I do know for sure
that things like tree cover can diminish satellite signals - so I'd have
to wonder if atmospherics could do the same.
--
Pete Cresswell