Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.satellite.gps
dave dave is offline

Default Trying to understand the current draw of a Samsung Galaxy S3under GPS & low battery

On 01/30/2014 10:53 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Today I hurled enough invectives at my Samsung Galaxy S3
to make a whore blush, simply because the GPS wouldn't
work under power.

More specifically, the cigarette lighter car charger is
reputed to be 2.1 Amps, while the standard wall charger
is only 850 mA, so, the 2.1 Amps should have been plenty
to both charge and run the Samsung Galaxy S3.

The battery was down to 17% when all the mischief started
occurring. The GPS kept saying over the bluetooth "GPS
signal lost", "GPS signal re-acquired", over and over
and over and over again, within ten seconds of each other,
such that the GPS was useless - and - worse yet - the
battery went lower and lower until the phone finally
shut off.

Yet, after charging it for an hour on the car, with
the phone off, it got up to about 65%, and then I used
the GPS on the road for another hour, and it STAYED at
65% battery.

What on earth is going on?

Why would a 2.1 Amp charger not be enough to both charge
and run the phone, and why would it lose charge when the
battery is at 17% yet it maintains charge when the battery
is at 65%?

Does any of this make sense to you?

Turn off GPS. It will drain your battery fast. Turn off mobile data
unless you need it. Voice and Text are not on Mobile Data.