Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Leaky handle

On 01/31/2014 12:47 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 01/30/2014 10:20 PM, Adam Kubias wrote:
Bought a house built in the 70s by the original owner who I bought it
off. The bathtub and sink were both dripping, so we went in and replaced
all the washers.

I messed up (or the threads were stripped) since when I put in the inner
parts, it just kept screwing as if it jumped off track. So if I screw it
all the way in, it shreds the end washer again.

So I only partially put it in, its not fully tight, but it seals shut
(the tap doesn't drip). Now the problem is when I turn the water on,
some water comes out the handle. Not a great solution at all.

So, other than taking all the shower tiles out, and cutting the old
copper fittings and putting a new one in, does anyone have any ideas on
how to fix this?

What's behind it?

Jon

Yeah....there should be an access door behind the fixtures.
If not, then someone must have drywalled the area and it would be better
to cut open the drywall than to remove the tiles.